2 Large Bunches Fresh Asparagus
1 Medium Parsnip, peeled and diced
1 Medium Carrot, peeled and diced
Broccoli Stems, peeled and diced
A Few Sprigs Parsley, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. Roasted Garlic Salute Sante Grapeseed Oil
1 Tbsp. Lemon Salute Sante Grapeseed Oil
1. Steam the parsnip, carrot, broccoli and parsley to desired texture. (About 5 minutes)
2. Clean the asparagus and have break the tough parts away but do not discard.An organic farmer taught me to hold the asparagus spear, apply pressure at both ends until it breaks. The top part is the tender portion we all love. The bottom part when cooked is stringy and tough. This recipe makes good use of the part most of us toss.
3. Place both spears and bottoms in a pan and steam to desired doneness. (Always pour off the water the asparagus was cooked in because it contains a toxin which is removed by steaming and is in the)
4. Remove the spears and set aside. Place the asparagus "bottoms" in the Vita Mix with more than enough water to cover and blend throughly on high. If you want a creamy soup, just cover the stems with water. For a more brothy soup, cover the stems with about 3 inches of water.
5. Combine the blended asparagus stem liquid with the steamed vegetables, the roasted garlic and lemon grapeseed oils.
6. Season to taste with salt and/or pepper.
7. Cut the steamed asparagus spears and place into the soup just before serving.